A Pin from Perth

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my Aunt on the phone and she mentioned that my Grandfather was interested in reading my blog as he has spent his R & R time in Perth during the war.  My Grandfather (we call him Coach) served in the U.S Navy as an Engineering Commander on a submarine during World War II.  He was inducted into the Veterans Hall of Fame in 2002.  He also received the Silver Helmet Award which is awarded for excellence and outstanding accomplishment in the fields of Americanism, defense, rehabilitation, congressional and civil service.  He was also awarded 2 Silver Stars and 1 Bronze Star.

He left for war after he and my grandmother were married; and while he was gone, my mom Denise and her twin Diane were born.  I never knew that he spent time in Australia during the war until my Aunt told me the other night....  Completely by coincidence, I was packing my jewelry that night when I got to my drawer of sentimental jewelry.  I store my Mom's things in this drawer and I spent some extra time (as I always do) touching them and remembering her.  I've always loved the pin pictured above - maybe because it has her name on it or maybe because it is just so pretty.  I flipped it over and looked at the latch and the hinges and I noticed something written on the back of it.  I took it into the light and look what I found!  My Mom's twin Diane still has hers as well and told me that Coach got these for them in Australia for their first birthday.

So, here I am.... I've never thought about Australia one way or another.  Out of nowhere, we decide to move there.  Suddenly I find in my possession something from Perth, made in Australia sixty six years ago.  I am just blown away by how wonderful this is!

6 Responses
  1. Ashleigh Umphrey Says:

    Oh, what a fantastic story! Isnt funny how thing just feel right sometimes... creepy! Hope everything is going well!!

  2. Mimi and Joe Says:

    I know.... weird right?

  3. Sharon Says:

    I don't believe this was coincidence. It was meant ot help you relax and be sure in the decision you have made.

  4. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Thanks Sharon - it's pretty incredible!

  5. Anonymous Says:

    You tell the story so well...only caveat was that Coach was an engineering commander

  6. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Oops - I'll go back and fix that now!!!

Post a Comment

abcs