The Great Move!

When I was growing up I was a little obsessed with Mayflower moving trucks.  My dad was a school teacher; and in the summers he would work extra jobs so we had enough money.  One of the things that he did was work as a mover.  I'm not sure exactly of the particulars; but I do know that he moved for Mayflower and Atlas Van Lines.  I remember looking for Mayflower trucks every time we were on the freeway - I loved the little ship symbol.  I hold those memories still today; and I still get giddy when I see a Mayflower truck on the freeway.  For some of you, these pictures of moving tape will mean alot more than they will to others.
I have to say, I was quite pleased when I saw the truck pull up.  It's just another sign that we are doing the right thing.  I lost all my anxiety about our stuff being damaged, sunk, lost etc....  I just stopped worrying.  I was a little taken aback though when they showed us our tiny tiny container.  They actually had two crates in the truck though and we could use both if we wanted.  Each crate is about 200 cubic feet so we were trying to just use one if we could get away with it.  Our movers names were Vinnie and Tom and they were so wonderful.  They were super careful with our things and Vinnie was like a jigsaw packing ninja.  He got more stuff to go in that crate than I thought was possible.  He used every spare inch and we ended up only using one carton with just a couple extra boxes which can go in a smaller pack and be sent for much cheaper.  He also did a completely spot on Aussie accent so he kept us in stitches during the whole move.  It was weird watching our stuff get packed away... I keep remarking that it will seem like Christmas morning when we get our stuff.  I think, by then, we will have forgotten everything we packed. I should have gift-wrapped a few of the items to make it even more festive.

After the crate was packed, I had to sign a bazillion papers and then they were gone!  It is surreal to have an almost empty garage...
0 Responses

Post a Comment

abcs