In a Sunburned Country

When I started looking for Australia travel books I was determined to avoid the quintessential book by Bill Bryson. I figured that anything so hyped-up was probably completely overrated and full of hot air. I was on Amazon a couple weeks ago purchasing other travel type books and I happened to pull it up and use the “Look Inside” feature of Amazon’s (which is completely brilliant). I read the first two pages and I was hooked! I ordered the book and I have had it sitting next to my bed like a shiny tempting treat for at least a week. I was promising myself that it would be my special “plane book” – the one that I would read when we were 10 hours into the flight and I needed something spectacular to distract myself from how completely awful flying in coach for 18 hours truly is…. Those of you, who know me well, know that I have no self-control when it comes to a few things – shoes, chocolate and books.

We were invited to hang out with some friends at the pool on Sunday so I threw it in my bag “just in case” I needed something to read next to the pool. Well, I’m already halfway through the book and I am completely in love! It is the type of book that makes you laugh out loud… a lot… loudly… uncontrollably. It is also the type of book that makes you want to read portions of it aloud every 10 minutes to your long-suffering husband. You know books are never as wonderful, great and funny unless you are reading them yourself so I am putting it on his bedside table when I am through.

I am still taking it on the plane – I think I will enjoy it even more the second time through….
17 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I have added this book to my Amazon shopping cart about 15 times but because I had the same initial reaction to it as you, I haven't purchased it yet. I think maybe now I will! :)

  2. baresytapas Says:

    I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.

  3. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Phoebe - You will NOT be dissapointed! It is fantastic!

  4. Sarah Says:

    Good book - makes me snort with laughter! It's called "Down Under" in the UK so I thought for a minute he had written another one! x

  5. Mimi and Joe Says:

    I know - I was getting some crazy looks out by the pool the other day I was laughing so hard!!

  6. Anonymous Says:

    You know that mom LOVED that book! I think i was her "Joe" - sitting there bemused as she laughed herself sick while reading it. I'm glad you found a good read. It's one of the best things that can happen in life :)
    Theresa

  7. Mimi and Joe Says:

    I had no idea T...

    Sometimes, when I'm just like them without even knowing it - it just knocks me right on my butt. In a nice way (but, with some tears)..

  8. Meaghan Says:

    I love Bryson. His book about walking the Appalachian Trail ("A Walk in the Woods") is one of my all time faves. I also love his memoir, "The life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid." Both are laugh-out-loud funny.

    PS- Speaking of books, how's Outlander treating you? :-) I also have another series for you, if you're interested. Mysteries this time.

  9. Elsja Says:

    I still haven't read this book... I need to. It's so funny that you mention you wanted to read something aloud to your hubby every 10 minutes. My fiance read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bryson and he did EXACTLY that to me. We'd be in bed reading and my book would get interrupted every few minutes so he could tell me about something he just read.

  10. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Elsja - yeah, my best friend was just telling me last night about the rest of his books and how equally funny they are - I can't wait!

  11. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Meaghan - hey you :) Thanks for the book recommendations last night - I loved talking to you even if it was just for a little bit. After Friday (when I am done working yay!) I'll have lots more time to call you!

  12. lilDdownunder Says:

    I did the same thing with Steve and this book...every few minutes I was laughing out loud and having to share a section with him; it was too good not to but I felt bad about continuously stopping him in the middle of his own reading. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction to this book!

  13. Gina E. Says:

    Hi Mimi, I found you on Phoebe's blog, and have come over to wish you good luck with your move to Oz. Pity you are going to Sydney - it's not half as good as Melbourne (LOL LOL - wait for a furious response from any Sydneysiders reading this!). Seriously, I hope you will soon get used to us, and enjoy your stay Down Under. Bill Bryson's book about us was a top seller here too - I've read my copy several times and still giggle over it!

  14. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Thanks Gina! I'm sure we'll make it down for a visit - you can tell us all the good places to go....

  15. suzinoz Says:

    Mimi-This book is funny. The reading it aloud part is hilarious too. When I got the book, my Aussie husband and I were living in the USA and doing many weekend roadtrips so I actually read it aloud to him in the car while he drove. It was so much fun that we got more of Bryson's books for our remaining roadtrips. Hope your move to Australia goes smoothly. You'll love it over here! All the best.

  16. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Thanks for the comment Suz - I've been enjoying your blog. Loved the entry about the "slippery dip"!!

    We will be there next week!

    I am going to run out and get his book "A Walk in the Woods" for further airplane enjoyment!

  17. Anonymous Says:

    I read this book after having moved to Australia and I have to say, it's not only funny, but very true as well!

Post a Comment

abcs