The Mentality of Moving

It's one in the morning here in Kentucky so technically I am writing this on Tuesday.  That means that we leave for Australia tomorrow. 

It's hard to describe how I feel about this whole thing.  "Unreal" might be a good word?  There is a numbness that is protecting me from the intense emotions that a move this big must have attached to it.  It probably helps that we have been so incredibly busy getting ready for the move.  We start early and roll into bed late, exhausted.  The reality of this move is all around me - we are staying at my in laws, I give the keys to the our renters today, there are 5 very large suitcases by the front door, we have an actual address in Sydney, we have 2 actual phone numbers in Sydney and we leave tomorrow.

It feels a little like going on a very long vacation and I don't know how long it is going to take once we are there before the reality of the move will hit me...
6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    *hugs* The numbness will be there for a while so you can do what you need to do to get settled in. The emotion side of it will come back slowly when you're ready. :)

  2. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Ugh - I'm not sure I want to experience the emotion side of it :(

    Although, it's really nice to know that what I am going through is normal.

    Thanks!

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Oh I am so excited for you! I know you're sad right now and maybe a little anxious but I think once you get there and get settled you'll be so glad you made this decision. (Look at me writing that when I myself haven't even gotten to Australia yet. :) ) I can't wait to read your blog once you arrive and I hope you have a wonderful, safe and uneventful flight!

  4. the american Says:

    it's overwhelming. i was so busy getting organised and establishing house that i didn't even feel homesickness or astonishment when i first moved here. the homesickness hits me at weird times - like while i'm doing the dishes or shopping. i miss things i didn't think i i would miss at all and other things not as much as i thought. it's all good though and you will love it. it's a life-changing thing you're doing and one that many people would like to do but don't - you're doing it! congratulations and welcome to oz!

  5. dee2693` Says:

    You need a contact me button on your page so we can send you emails and stuff! Or just give me your email address. :) I'm so bummed I didn't get to see you for our last Bunco. I would've given you a bigger hug if I knew it was our last! You are going to have so much freaking fun. Enjoy all of the new things in your life. I'll miss you, your pretty self, your cute style and attitude. Take care! xoxoxo Dena

  6. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Phoebe - You are so funny! Don;t worry, you'll be here soon and then you can commiserate about the last minute shopping, the crazy baggage headaches, the changing of money..... ugh!

    @ The American - Didn't you live in London for a while too? You seem very well travelled already before you even moved to Australia... I don't travel much and I've never been out of the country - what a crazy first trip huh? You like in Melbourne right?

    @ Dena - I am looking into the the "Contact Me" idea... I'm not very techie so we'll see how that goes. I was upset that Bunco got cancelled - especially since no one told me and I ended up at Gail's door with a bunch of food. I felt like a jackass! Anywho - Drove by the parking lot yesterday and I have to say, I'm not missing working ;) But, I am missing all of you!

Post a Comment

abcs