Upside Down

There were so many jokey things said before we left about "going down under", about "being upside down" etc...   It's actually funny in the sense that it is true in so many little ways.

There are the obvious: driving on the left instead of right side of the road, driving on the right instead of the left side of the car and being in the opposite hemisphere.

There are also little things....  In order to turn a light on, you push the switch down instead of up.  This actually makes sense once you get used to it... when turning on a light in the dark you can just throw your hand up and let gravity do all the work.

Door are a bit odd - not all of them; but most of the building entry doors have been a "push to get in" and "pull to get out" set-up. Not too weird really; but obviously different as we are constantly pushing and pulling doors the wrong way.  This one doesn't make as much sense to me to be honest.  If the building is on fire and everyone rushes to the door, how will you be able to pull it open?











In other news - we had lamb for dinner again tonight.  I bought olives and feta at the grocery yesterday and have been dreaming about Greek salad all day.  I even made homemade garlic croutons. I bucked tradition a little by adding avocado; but really, a salad isn't a salad without avocado.

Also, the feta here is much creamier - it's actually a great spreading consistency.  Hmm... I think I could actually pipe some of it INSIDE some olives.  Doesn't that sound like a great snack to have with some beer? Mmmmm....
4 Responses
  1. Gina E. Says:

    You sound like an excellent cook, Mimi. I love avocado in salad too. I chuckled at your observations about being Down Under. But I'm surprised you didn't mention the one thing that nearly everyone from the northern hemisphere comments on here - the way the water goes around the toilet bowl...apparently it is in reverse to what yours does! Funnily enough, that was something that never caught my eye when I was in the States. I mean really, who watches the toilet bowl THAT closely?
    By the way, we are heading up your way in October. I've just booked seats at the ANZ Stadium to see Ben Hur - loved the movie, so this show should be sensational!

  2. the american Says:

    i still don't get the doors...but 'twas the same in america. i think i'm just door challenged.

  3. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Gina - I can't see the water going the other way.... The toilets flush so violently here that there isn't so much a swirling as there is a gushing. Ha! Ben Hur sounds like fun - that was a great movie!!

    @ the american - Ha ha ha!!! Actually, I was trying to be nice in the post. I never have problems with doors - it's my darling husband that seems to struggle :D

  4. Anonymous Says:

    I'm so glad things are going well for you guys! I can't wait to come visit. I'm looking at February. Julie

Post a Comment

abcs