How Little Do You Need To Live?

I've been so excited that we are moving to our new place on Friday that I have been in a bit of denial....

We will most likely not get our crate from the States until the end of August.  That means that we will be in an apartment for an entire month with only the contents of our suitcases.  Wow.

We bought a mattress set last weekend and it is being delivered the day we move in... I immediately began the hunt for appliances (we need to provide our own washer, dryer and fridge) and found the washer and dryer second hand. I am working on getting a fridge this week.

What I didn't realize was how much you need for just the basics of everyday living.  I keep thinking of all the things in our crate that I am dying to get. 

So, with all of these things in mind, we took a trip out to Ikea yesterday armed with a small list and the knowledge that everything that we bought would need to be carried home in bags.  Eek....  I am proud to say that we only spent a very little bit and we now have just enough to get us through the month:

2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 glasses, 4 sets of silverware, a set of steak knives, 2 mixing bowls, a frying pan, a sauce pan, 1 cutting board, a trash can, 2 towels, 2 washcloths, a fitted sheet, 2 pillows, and 1 blanket.

It is going to be a very very long month!

I still need to go to Target or Meyer and pick up an electric kettle, ironing board, iron, and microwave.  I'll figure that out this week. 

I am spending all my extra time dreaming about the 2 sheet sets in the crate, and the dishes in the crate, and the furniture in the crate, and the books in the crate, and the chairs in the crate, and so on....  It's going to be like Christmas morning up in here when we get our stuff!

Ohhh!!.. and, in much more fun and exciting news, I got a "Little Whipper" which is a little handheld milk frother and I am now making some fabulously delicious flat whites in my very own kitchenette.  Yea, it's pretty awesome!

4 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    Oh boy- I sure hope that container comes sooner rather than later! I remember the day our stuff arrived from the US (although we only shipped 40 boxes of personal items). It was so exciting. At least you'll be able to enjoy your coffee while you wait for it to arrive.

  2. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Very True! and in my book, a good cup of coffee can make a lot of things better! We only shipped some of our furniture and we left some of it in our house in the States and rented it partially furnished so I will prob spend the month planning out the apartment and picking up the furniture we will need.

  3. CoryAlayne Says:

    Yay pretty apartment! And I have to look up what a flat white is. :) And yes, I read your whole blog that day to catch up. It was GREAT. And I'm on a bunch of drugs from the accident so I was also a little loopy at the time, so Pie Face was hilarious. :p

  4. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Oh Monkey - they have the greatest coffee over here! It's completely brilliant! A flat white is like a capp; but with creamy foam that you want to eat off a spoon! See here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

    Sorry about the car accident - I saw it on Facebook but the thread was already super long and I figured you were down for the count on pain meds anyway... I hope Greg is taking good care of you!

Post a Comment

abcs