Burger Celebration.... or not...

We didn't find out that we got the apartment until late Monday morning - apparently several other couples put in applications on Monday morning; but we had the best offer so the agent put ours through first.  I wanted to do something fun and nice as a celebration.  I also wanted champagne to be involved; but I didn't want to buy a $40 or $50 bottle out at some expensive restaurant.  Aha!  I decided that I would scope out this whole BYO thing going on here.  A BYO restaurant is one that allows you to Bring Your Own bottle of wine with you.  Most places have a very reasonable corkage charge and some don't have one at all!  So, I spent a ridiculous amount of time online trying to find the perfect place.

I finally found a burger place that had a ton of great reviews - it was being touted as one of the best places in Sydney to get a burger.  It was also right around the corner from Joe's office, cheap and had a really low corkage fee.  So, I checked their website, checked their hours, double checked their address and went forward with the plan.  I ran down the street to the bottle shop and picked up a $13.00 bottle of sparkling wine (which ended up being fabulous) and then took a taxi to Joe's office.  We walked down the street  trudged up this crazy enormous hill (my calves are killing me) to get to the right street and then walked through the center of Darlinghurst's restaurant/cafe district to get to this burger joint.  My directions were flawless - we got to the door only to realize that they are now closed on Mondays during the winter.  What?  It wasn't even on the website!!!  Oh well, it was a perfect Aussie night in the sense that something like that had to happen in order for us to have a truly Australian evening. 

We walked around the corner and found a tiny Italian place called Fellini's (also a BYO) that really was more fitting to the sparkling wine anyway.  We had a beautiful dinner...  I had salmon linguine with capers - Heaven in my mouth.  I also had one too many glasses of the wine (sparkling wine really hits me way harder than regular).

There was a large size Coles on the way back to Williams St so we (and by we I mean I) decided we should do some grocery shopping.  I still can't get over the idea of going into what essentially looks like a mall, going into the sub basement and doing your grocery shopping there!  Laden down with two heavy grocery bags, we opted to take a taxi back to the apartment rather than walk the mile and a half.  My wine fuzzy head was very appreciative of not having to slog back on foot carrying a heavy bag!

So, even though we didn't get our burgers, we had a wonderful meal.  We still have burgers to look forward to and we found a cute area full of restaurants right around the corner from Joe's office.... All in all a good night!
7 Responses
  1. melody Says:

    Yay! So happy to hear you have found an apartment! Good luck with the new place!

  2. Geri Says:

    Sounds like it was a pretty good night. Congrats about the apartment!

  3. the american Says:

    congrats on the apartment! i bet it's a relief!

  4. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Geri and @ the American - Thanks so much! It's a HUGE relief!!

  5. Anonymous Says:

    woohoo! I am a few days late but congrats on finding a place! :)

Post a Comment

abcs