The Moment of Truth

This is not the first time I've had a blog...  This is, however, the first time that I have had one that I openly share with people.  There always comes time when you start weighing what you really want to say in your blog and what you know you should say...  For this blog, the time has come much sooner than I thought it would.

So, what I really want to write about is overwhelming homesickness and the absolute stress of making your way in a city when you have nothing to rely on.  When the streets are backwards, the cars are backwards, the GPS doesn't work and you feel like you just want to start walking until you get home....

But, what I should be writing about today is the fantastically dry Aussie sense of humor...

There is a rental book that we got when we moved into our apartment and it is a perfect example of things that you would never see in the states... 

On the page entitled "Fire and Other Hazards":

"Burning the apartment down will probably ruin your stay"

"Please refrain from smoking near the fire sprinklers unless you wish to have a shower at the same time"

So, yea - there's lots to laugh at.  Thank goodness; because there are days when I really need to laugh!
6 Responses
  1. Just your average Joe Says:

    My turn tomorrow. I get to drive on the other side of the road, deal with roundabouts, get screwed by the Tom Tom, scrape the hubcaps, and laugh when you rip the dash off the car. Luv ya babe.

    Joe

  2. Gina E. Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. Gina E. Says:

    (Sorry, I stuffed up that first comment).
    I totally admire someone who comes from any other country, and has to drive around Sydney looking for somewhere to live! Good luck, Joe - and I hope your sense of humour is still intact at the end of the week ;-)

  4. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Well, I drove one day and he drove another. We didn't kill ourselves, any other people or eachother so I count it as a resounding success!

  5. Rachael Says:

    Haha I love the dry sense of humor- it sounds like they just expect people to have common sense instead of in America where we have to warn people that their coffee is hot so that they don't burn themselves and then actually win the lawsuit they filed because they were stupid lol

  6. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Yeah Rachel - that is totally it! I keep being surprised every time I open a bottle of salad dressing or dish soap or anything that in the States would have a saftely seal. Here there just isn't! It's kinda nice :)

Post a Comment

abcs