Visit to Cleveland - Monday

Monday was a subdued, sad morning as I packed up and got ready for the trip back.  We made plans to meet our friend Julie in Columbus for lunch at 2 so we had to leave Cleveland by noon. Theresa came over with the kids to say goodbye (but not for good as she will be in Cincinnati to see us before we leave) so I got a chance to give everyone hugs goodbye!  Plus I got to watch Evan have his morning AppleJacks - Yum!












































My sister Julie's daughter Gianna had told her mom that morning how sad she was that she didn't get to say a final goodbye to us (We came in late the night before and she had already gone to school when we woke up) so we decided to stop at her school and say goodbye to her before we got on the road.  When I hugged Julie goodbye, I realized I wouldn't be seeing her till Christmas and that this was really goodbye.  The tears started and the situation didn't improve much once we got to Gianna's school.  I was doing OK until I realized that Gianna's little eyes were tearing up a bit and then the tears hit again. I'm still not sure how I made it out of the building; but my poor husband had to put up with my sniffling halfway to Columbus.

We met up with Julie at Buca di Beppo (I had never been there and I was surprised at how yummy it was) and having lunch with her made me feel lots better.  I made her promise that she would visit us in Australia next year and I am holding her to it!  This is us after I spent the morning crying and after 2 glasses of wine:



The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful.  We rolled into Joe's parent's house around 6:30 where I promptly fell asleep on the couch till dinner.  Then home, with the doggy, to unpack and get ready for the week.
This is the doggy for those of you who haven't met him:



It was really a great trip and I am so glad that we made the time to go for four days.  It was horribly sad at the end and I dont' think that I am quite over the reality of having to say goodbye; but I still had a wonderful time...
11 Responses
  1. lilDdownunder Says:

    Thanks for reading my blog! If you have any questions, feel free to message me on there or you can email me at dlogstonATgmailDOTcom, too. Have you been on Yanksdownunder.net yet? If not, there is tons of good information about how to find places to rent here, what products from home you can and can't buy here (I bring graham crackers, tampons, stick deodorant,bisquick, and reese peanut butter cups back with me after every trip home!). There are also a few articles on YDU about the differences between the US and Aus and don't let them discourage you, but they are really helpful in preparing you for the changes here. I can't wait for you guys to get here and read all about your adventure!

  2. Elsja Says:

    HEY! Just saw your comment on my blog and now I realized you are from YDU. :) Have you decided where you'll be moving yet? Dana has some great advice in her comment above!! Let me know if you have any specific questions. :)

  3. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Hey guys! Thanks so much for the comments and support!

    I am a total "over-preparer" so I have read just about every thread on YDU and (I hope this isn't weird) read everyone's blogs from the beginning to end :)

    You should see my linen closet - nothing but stick deodorant, tampons and dryer sheets as far as the eye can see! I feel like I am pretty prepared in the practical sense; but I am dreading the inevitable homesickness.

    The movers come on June 4th and we are just waiting for our VISA for me to book the tickets. We are on track for being there the last week of June or the first week of August. Joe's company is putting us up in a furnished apartment for three weeks (prob pretty close to the CBD) and I'll be running around looking at places.

    We really like the Mosman, Cremorne area - We love Cremorne Point (they have such great views!). I'm sure half the apartments I like are complete crap once you actually see them :) We'll see, I guess.

    I am so nervous!

  4. Anonymous Says:

    Loving your blog, and especially all the photos! I read through Google Reader, so sometimes I get lazy about comments. But I didn't want you to think I'm not reading so here I am. Keep blogging, we love the updates!

    Natalee

  5. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Thanks Natalee,

    Maybe you can use this as a geography lesson :D

    It helps to know that you are all reading this and are just a comment away if I fall apart once we get there...

  6. Anonymous Says:

    I'm a bad commenter, too, but i am a wonderful follower of blogs - especially ones that are interesting :)
    Yep, that would be yours!

    Theresa

  7. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Thanks T,

    It's crazy, I'm missing you so much already even though I know that I am going to see you in a few weeks and even though I can pick up my phone right now and call you.....

    It's a nice picture of the two of us up there huh? I had to crop Lilia out - she was making a stinky face :)

  8. Anonymous Says:

    no surprise about Bitsy with a stinkface!
    When do you go on your mystery adventure with not a lot of makeup?

    T.

  9. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Next Saturday - Very intriguing... Actually, I don't think the amount of make-up I wear has a thing to do with it - I think that was Joe's way of telling me how dressy to be? or something? I just thought is was hysterical!

    Miss you

  10. Anonymous Says:

    Love all the photos! You get the goodbye-melancholies from the Farr's...started by my Granny who always made parting a tearful event!! It has taken me years to overcome the worst of it! love, aunt dia

  11. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Oh Aunt Dia,

    I am the worst for that... I am such a cryer!

Post a Comment

abcs