So Much To Say

Well, the move was long and tiresome; but it went as smoothly as something like that can.  I had yet to see the apartment except for a video and photos so I was nervous (and Joe was even more nervous) that I wouldn't like it.

I love it!  Love it! Love love love it!

Joe loves it too as you can see! 

The views are incredible from every room but the second bedroom.  I am sitting up in bed typing this right now and if I glance to my right out the window I can see the Harbour Bridge.  I'm sorry; but I need to repeat that.  I can see the Sydney Harbour Bridge from my bed!


 We got our new mattress set delivered that afternoon and after it was set up; but before I put sheets on it, we were treated to a friendly visit by the neighborhood Rainbow Lorikeets.  One of them (see picture) actually tried to come into the bedroom!  I shooed him away; but he just flew over to the bathroom window and hung out there for a while. 









I certainly didn't mind - they are beautiful and their birdsong is so very pretty.  He let me get really really close to him to take pictures so I am assuming that the previous tenants were on friendly terms with them.  I also heard a Kookaburra for the first time very early this morning...  I was lying in bed awake around 5:30 in the morning and it was so loud and obnoxious it actually made me jump a little!










We got the rest of the appliances over the next day or so - I scoured Gumtree (like Craigslist but better) and found a fridge, washer and dryer that I really liked for a good price.  The fridge is 520 Litres which means that it is "American Size"!  I'm very very happy with it and I can't wait to cover it with (recent) photos of my nieces and nephews (hint hint!!) 

The washer and dryer are also great in that they are a little bigger than the ones in our serviced unit in the CBD.  I did my first load of laundry tonight and it was a success!

I am getting coffee tomorrow morning with someone that I met on Yanks Down Under which is a website for Americans living in Australia.  I am a little nervous about making a good impression; but I think it will be just fine.  I am going to multitask by dropping off the dry cleaning on the way and then dropping off some papers at the real estate agents after.

I am doing a big grocery haul tonight and having it delivered tomorrow afternoon; but I think I will also pop into the grocery tomorrow morning and pick out my own produce!








12 Responses
  1. Fantastic Jen Says:

    Marvelous Mimi!

    I am back in the US and have gotten to catch up on your blog, and the ups and downs of the last few weeks! I am so glad you are getting settled and can start feeling grounded again. It's always nice to be able to come home to a place you actually feel is your home. I'm sure yours will be beautiful - I remember before you left, how excited you were to have the job as 'homemaker' - and now you can finally get to it :) Have a fabulous time decorating and making it yours.

    Jen

    ps -- NOW you can send out your address! And then, in a week or two, you can get postcards from Taiwan.....

  2. Sarah Says:

    Hi Mimi,

    Your apartment looks fab - bet it's great to have a place to call home! Loving the Lorikeets - Finn is very much looking forward to seeing them when we land so hopefully they oblige!

    S x

  3. the american Says:

    congrats! ooh! that's the same fridge as ours. hee hee.

    enjoy the new place! now you can really start settling in!

  4. Cristin Says:

    Congrats on the new place! I am SO jealous of your fridge! Love the lorikeets, too. We have a few that hang out on our ledge every once in awhile and it's like magic. :-)

  5. CoryAlayne Says:

    From your BED?!?!?! LOVE IT! And yay for the American Size fridge, ha ha. I hope your coffee with the Yanks Down Under person went great... I know how hard it can be to make friends in a new country, but at least I had school, so I'm sure it's even harder for you!

    Missing and loving you, hugs to you and Joe, and I'll be sending pics of your honorary niece shortly! :) (Did you email me your new addy yet? Please do!)

    Love!

  6. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Jen - Welcome back baby!! I hope your trip was super exciting, fun and wonderful! Hopefully we will be getting our crate in about three weeks and then I'll go from there. Julie Nichols is coming to visit in February - can I talk you into visiting sometime next year as well?

    @ Sarah - I am so excited for you to get here already! Now that we are settled (ish) and have done the moving process, I am looking forward to helping you out once you get here.

    @ the american - we obviously have fabulous taste!

  7. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Cristin - when are you flying back to Sydney? I am so excited that your Visa came so fast!

    @ Cory - well, the coffee went great. We met up at 10:30 and didn't split up till about 1 or so. It was so great talking to someone else in the same position! I'll be sending out the new addy in an email soon! I can't wait to get pictures of Vi - she'll really brighten this place up! Love you!

  8. Cristin Says:

    I'll be back August 14th (which, of course, means I'm leaving on August 12th - so strange). I was thrilled at how fast the visa came - I really didn't know if it would be 2 months or 6 months - that it came in under 2 months was a wonderful surprise. Looking forward to that coffee soon!

  9. Mimi and Joe Says:

    Awesome - send me a PM on YDU once you are settled and recovered from your jet lag and I'll send you my mobile/FB/email stuff so we can hook up! I'll even go on your driving lessons with you ;)

  10. Cristin Says:

    Perfect!! Looking forward to it ... until then - lots of packing to do!

  11. lilDdownunder Says:

    Love the lorikeets in the bedroom! I'm jealous as I've been feeding some in our backyard for about a year now and they just squawk from the trees to let me know when it's food time and never let us get too close :)

  12. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ LilD - yea, these ones seemed to think that the windows being open meant fair game for inside!

Post a Comment

abcs