I'm Back!

Where did I go?  Well, nowhere really - I was here the whole time... I just wasn't in the mood to write anything.

So, I'll give you the highlights since I've been on hiatus....

We had a long weekend and our first Aussie holiday (it was their labour day) - we had friends over for a dinner/game night that Sunday as it was too rainy for a picnic.  Also, we had Australian Daylight Savings Time go into effect.  So, we used to be 14 hours ahead of the States and now we are only 13?  I think?  These uneven numbers are really screwing with my head.

Also, we went to Ikea and now we are the proud owners of, not one; but two couches!!  It is extremely exciting to sit in something that is not a bed or a bench from a patio set.  We have big plans for this coming Friday evening to go out to Ikea again and buy ourselves two armchairs and a bookcase! Who Hoo!!

This past weekend sucked a bit - our downstairs neighbors smoke and mostly we can't smell it; but Friday night it was really bad and it had Joe and I up all night with allergies etc.... (I do recognize the irony of an ex-smoker complaining about smoke) so Saturday was mostly a bust and rainy to boot.  I think there were like 3 naps that day?  Sunday was better though with blue skies and sunshine.  We decided to walk all the way around Neutral Bay - We made it to the High Street Ferry Wharf and then caught the ferry to Kirribilli.  Then we walked into Kirribilii proper for some brunch.

*Side note - Have I told you about the Orange Juice here?  I didn't think so.....  They don't serve you orange juice from cartons or concentrate here.  They go juice oranges into a glass for you.  Yeah....  The first time I ordered it I thought the place we were eating was extra snooty or something; but no - pretty much wherever you order juice, it will be freshly made.  Yum...

Anyway, after brunch (I swear every time I say brunch I think of "How I Met Your Mother") we walked across the Harbour Bridge into the Rocks/Circular Key.  We had just missed our ferry so we had about an hour to kill.  We got sorbet and sat in the sunshine to people watch - honestly, it was so much fun I didn't even want to go home.

Monday (2 days ago) was our second wedding anniversary.  We both worked (me only half a day though) so it wasn't any huge celebration.  I did make a nice dinner though - pork roast, apple/potato pancakes and green beans.  We got each other cards and little gifts - usually, I am the winner in this department.  I always write long sappy messages in my cards and pick out the perfect presents.  Yea, Joe totally beat me this year - his card (and what he wrote inside of it) was so perfect that I cried and he got me Ugg slippers.  I have needed new slippers for months and I just keep forgetting to buy myself some.  So, he beat me to it and got me like the most incredibly comfortable footwear ever.  I know it's bogan to wear them outside so I won't; but I will be wearing them at every second while I am in my home!

Last night Joe worked late - really really late....  I stayed home all day because I was waiting for the Post to deliver something (which they never did - don't get me started on how annoyed I am with these people) so it was a long hard lonely-ish day.  I did have three Skype dates that morning (thanks Ladies!) so it helped break up the day a bit.

Also - just a quick thanks to Jen for the Birthday care package... Everything made it through quarantine.  I literally walked out of the post office, found the nearest bench, ripped the package open and started laughing.  I LOVE MY HALLOWEEN COSTUME!!!!!!  Thanks also for the great card, candy, stickers, chili powder etc....  You will be happy to know that the M&Ms did not taste like chili powder!

Ok, I am off to get ready for work
9 Responses
  1. the american Says:

    uggs are the best. i'll wear them out sometimes, especially if i have sore feet from wearing heels all week but i've also been known to wear pyjamas to the supermarket ...

    happy belated anniversary! hope everything is well.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    I'm glad you're back! I don't know what I'd do without my Aussie fix! Happy belated Anniversary of course too!

    Mandy

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Uncle Bill just surprised me with Ugg slippers, too and I am wearing them right now!! We leave for Chicago at noon for a grade school reunion (55 yrs. for Uncle Bill)!

  4. Gina E. Says:

    I chuckled at Missylou968's comment about white trash. When we were over in the States in the seventies, we didn't know how seriously bad it was to say that to people. It doesn't mean a thing over here, as you will have realised, Mimi. So when some smart alec kids did something stupid to us, we called them white trash. WELL!! They chased us all the way back to our motel, and the motel manager had to call the police! He warned us never to call anybody white trash!!
    Sorry to hear about those smokers in your building. Ken was a heavy smoker for the first 24 years of our marriage, and I had to put up with the smell in our home until he had a heart attack and quit smoking. He is now one of those reformed smokers who nags everyone else to quit!

  5. Gina E. Says:

    BTW, can you work on improving the weather up there next week? ;-) We arrive on Thursday to see Ben Hur on Friday night and are planning to attend the stadium in costume. Ken in a toga and me as...well, not a slave girl, lol!

  6. Unknown Says:

    OMG the spices got through??? in an unsealed, unoriginal package?? Wow! Awesome, I was afraid of that not making ti through! How about the other package with the souvenirs from Taiwan?? those were sent way before.....? happy anniversary and if you wear the costume, send me pictures!! xoxox

  7. Brooke, WhyGo Australia Says:

    Haha, love that you got Uggs! It's the first step in assimilating to Aussie culture ;) I see so many people wearing them around in Sydney, so I don't know how bogan they really are...

  8. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ the american - People here wear Uggs out all the time! I think I would too if they were the boots; but they are just the slippers so I know that would really be crossing a line! Although, if I really wanted to fit in here, I would just go barefoot *cue eyerolling*

    @ Missy - How are you? Still happy? You need to send me a FB message! I am hoping that all is well...

    @ Mandy - Thanks so much!

    @ Aunt Dia - I have been loving your photos on FB - it looks like you guys had a great time in Chicago. Give Uncle Bill a big hug from me. He is such a nice husband to you :)

  9. Mimi and Joe Says:

    @ Gina - I am the same way! I quit years ago and it was the best thing I ever did - now I am always trying to get other people to quit :) Seriously, it has been bloody cold here! We had a southern wind blow in on Friday night that went through all of Saturday leaving it cold cold cold here. Then it was very very warm yesterday - back to sweaters and cold today. I give up! Hope your visit goes well!

    @ Jen - yea,I was very surpised; but the chili powder made it through unaccosted! I had to laugh though, they sliced through the top of the package and opened it completely. When they re-sealed it, they used three tiny tiny peices of scotch tape to seal up the huge gaping hole... Lol - it was just barely haging together byt the time I got it! I haven't gotten any other packages from you :( I will def take pictures when I wear the costume!

    @ Brooke - Apparently, the second step is learning to hate Telstra with a white hot rage. I mastered that one in the first two months.

    Oh, and three must be realizing that you say "How ya goin" and "Ta" without even realizing it anymore. I think I have that one too! :D

Post a Comment

abcs